Gabriel works closely with Ben Hartley in the resolution of corporate and business partnership disputes, insolvency and debt recovery matters. This can also include an assortment of intellectual property disputes, including copyright, defamation, passing off and other trade practice disputes.
Gabriel also has experience in regulatory matters and land disputes relating to boundaries and the unreasonable flow of water between properties. He thrives on solving complex legal problems and getting results that meet clients’ needs.
Raised in Victoria’s high country in a time before the era of almond lattes and smashed avo, Gabriel has come to fully embrace Melbourne’s cosmopolitan ways. Gabriel started his career in logistics at RAAF Base Townsville before moving to the “most liveable” Melbourne to complete a double degree in Law and Biomedical Science at Monash University and later focus on commercial litigation.
On weekends, you can find Gabriel mountain-biking, playing tennis, snowboarding or otherwise enjoying Victoria’s great outdoors.
- Acting for minority shareholders in shareholder oppression actions and partnership breakdowns
- Assisting corporate entities to remove defaulting shareholders, company officers and employees
- Recovering debts on behalf of liquidators and companies from directors, guarantors, tenants and other debtors
- Copyright, defamation, trademark and trade practices disputes
- Misleading and deceptive conduct claims and negligent financial advice
- Various land disputes relating to the sale of land, boundaries, water egress and owners corporations
- Obtaining personal safety intervention orders
- Obtaining compensation under insurance policies for negligent and unpaid building works through the Victorian Managed Insurance Agency and at VCAT (as well as previously representing insurers)
- Contract advice and negotiation related to enforcement, risk exposure, competition and the allocation of assets, rights and duties
- Strategic commercial advice based upon regulations governing retail premises, including the application of industry regulations specific to various industries and broadly-applicable legislation such as the COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) (Commercial Leases and Licences) Regulations 2020 to rent negotiations