Kieran deals with complex litigation and disputes, including shareholder buy-backs, dissolution of partnerships, unlawful conspiracy, enforcement of local and foreign judgments, breach of director’s duties, intellectual property infringement and insolvency.
He also deals with competition and regulatory matters, including ASIC investigations and criminal charges alleging fraud, cyber-crime, cartel conduct, insider trading and market manipulation.
Kieran provides valuable and cost-effective advice designed to resolve disputes through negotiation and other ADR processes wherever appropriate. Kieran gives clients the ability to run litigation with certainty and knowledge of the price and risks involved.
Kieran is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZLSA) and has advised a number of aspiring athletes, including professional golfers based in the Asia-Pacific region. This is partly due to his involvement in Golf which has included representing New Zealand, playing off a +1 handicap and competing for a college in Iowa, USA on scholarship.
- Defending a senior banking executive charged with criminal cartel offences under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)
- Acting for a large wealth management company in the Federal Court in relation to claims of minority shareholder oppression and unlawful discrimination pursuant to the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)
- Acting for a developer in a Supreme Court proceeding seeking the removal of a fraudulently obtained mortgage and the unwinding of other fraudulent transactions
- Acting for an ophthalmologist surgeon in a Supreme Court trial relating to misleading and deceptive conduct, and the tort of passing off
- Acting for a large pharmaceutical company in relation to a Coronial investigation into the death of an Aged Care resident
- Acting for a large national franchisor against a former franchisee breaching its intellectual property rights
- Registering and enforcing a personal property security interest (PPSI) over an Aircraft pursuant to the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth), including the appointment of receivers
- Acting for a tenant in a Supreme Court trial seeking judicial review of a VCAT decision made under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic)
- Acting for adjoining owners in relation to disputes about protection works under the Building Act 1993 (Vic) and the requirements of the Fences Act 1968 (Vic)
- Acting for subcontractors in proceedings commenced under Victoria’s Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic)
- Opposing an application in VCAT made by a co-owner of a property seeking an order for sale and division of proceeds